Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I Friggin Hate Cigarettes.

So I read an AP story yesterday that said with the Democrats back in power, tobacco may be regulated as a drug and more laws against smoking may be in the works. Here in VA a GOP state senator has introduced an indoor smoking ban the last two sessions of the General Assembly and last year it almost passed. That would be amazing if in the home of Philip Morris we could get that law through. Cigarettes are vile and 2nd hand smoke kills. Screw all the idiot smokers who say these bans infringe on their rights. Most of them will end up dying of smoking related diseases that will make my health care costs go up, or because many of them end up indigant my taxes go up. I'm in favor of giving smokers one year to quit and if you don't you can't get health insurance, its pay as you go for your lung cancer and emphysema or let big tobacco pay for the care of their profit base. Screw em.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Washington state passed an indoor smoking ban a while back and it's been great. Of course, the only businesses it affected much were restaurants and bars. It's just so great to go out to a bar and not come home smelling like an ashtray.

The bars made a big stink about it but I haven't noticed any of them having to close.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

I saw a study on the NY ban and it said that post ban restauranteurs reported a 25-30% jump in business from the same time the previous year. It would seem that there are a lot of folks who weren't going out for the reasons you mentioned. If it can happen in Ireland, and gradually in Paris, it can happen here.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I don't like cigarettes either. I actually think that if the government wants a healthier America and wants to cut down on health care costs and insurance costs, they ought to be making a concentrated effort to curb the smoking of cigarettes. It's too bad so many politicians get money from outfits like Philip Morris, but maybe some changes are in the offing. I sure hope so!

Heck, let's make cigarette smoking something that can only be done outdoors or in the home, and let the government regulate tobacco. The government can sell cigarettes in government-run stores, along with liquor. Heck, let the feds grow marijuana and sell it in those stores, too. Lots of revenue for the feds, and it could probably be enough to pay for a national health care program!

Well... I can dream on.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

I'm with you Snave, I have always been against the prohibition of soft drugs. I think Philip Morris has killed a hell of a lot more people than marijuana. Let the Feds tax it and take it off the streets.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home