Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Best Man Won



Well, Speaker Pelosi has lost her first battle. She wanted Jack Murtha to be Majority leader over Steny Hoyer who was in line for the position. Murtha of course is a hard critic of the Iraq war, and an outspoken critic of W's policies, which I generally agree with, but he is prone to grandstanding and making wild accusations. The real reason that I am glad that he lost to Hoyer is that he is a corrupt old bastard. He was caught on camera 28 years ago during ABSCAM sort of taking 50 grand from some slimy fake middle eastern sheiks. To me Murtha is just as bad as Delay, Cunningham, Ney, and Jefferson, just another corrupt Congressman. The House Dems made the right call here, the people voted for change, and despite my agreeing with Murtha on his basic premise that Iraq was a mistake, he's still a crook and has no business in my parties leadership.

2 Comments:

Blogger Snave said...

That Abscam stuff was making me leery of Murtha also. I might like Murtha's politics better, but I do think the Dems need someone who is less prone to being dragged through the mud, and hopefully that will be Hoyer.

The sad thing is that there has already been one feud before the next session of Congress even starts. I think this has to raise questions about the new Speaker's leadership skills... We will just have to wait and see how she does during the next 6-8 weeks. I fear she may interpret the election results as a mandate for the Dems to push through a liberal agenda, which is probably not really what the people want, at least not yet... I think the election results suggest that the American people want accountability and responsibility from their leaders first and foremost. The rest of the Democratic party seems to understand this, and I hope Pelosi can come to understand it as well!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I'm glad Hoyer won...the Dems shouldn't start right out with somebody who's been connected to corruption in the past.

I think this whole thing with Pelosi supporting Murtha has really been blown out of proportion. Nobody will care about it by the middle of next week.

Pelosi may make a few mistakes at first. We have to be patient and give her a chance.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home