Monday, December 25, 2006

RIP JB

The hardest working man in show business passed away yesterday at the age of 73. James Brown for all of his personal demons, wife beating, cop evasion, heavy PCP use and all was still one bad-assed artist. His influence can be heard today in every musical genre from Soul to RandB, Rock, and HipHop. He was a central figure in the Civil Rights struggle and he even launched the career of Al Sharpton. His music inspired people around the world to "get up off of that thing" even an uncordinated little white boy from the sticks of VA. James had the baddest backing band around with guys like Bootsie Collins backing him up his sound was unmistakable. I remember hearing an LP of one of his early 70's live performances as a kid and it blew me away. Nobody with the exception of E wore a rhinestone cape, and sweated through a performance like JB. The worlds a much less funky place without the Godfather of Soul around.

1 Comments:

Blogger Snave said...

I was never a huge fan, but whenever I watched footage of him performing, it made me wish I could have been there seeing him in person. He was the original Sex Machine!

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home