Tuesday, February 27, 2007

New Car Smell


I went car shopping this weekend, and the wife and I came home with a new Toyota RAV4. I hated the way the old models looked, like plastic toys, but this model won me over. We had narrowed it down to either the Honda CRV, the Toyota, or the Subaru Forester. The Toyota won out, its drives and handles well, has a ton of cargo room, has alltime 4wd and still gets 30mpg with a 3.5 v6. We were committed Honda devotees until we drove one of these things, If there exists a thing that is more dependable than a Honda, I think it has to be a Toyota, I remember a friend in college had a Toyota pickup that had 270,000 miles on it with only small repairs done on it, the only other car I can think of with that kind of legendary reliability is Volvo. Anyway I will get high on the new car fumes for a bit longer and long for warm weather so I can load this sucker up, slap a canoe on top and head for the Blue Ridge for some camping, new cars rule!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Congrats on the new ride!

I need to trade in my Jeep soon. I'd like to buy a Prius, but I've heard they aren't good for winter driving. I will probably opt for a SUV with good gas mileage. I'll have to put the RAV4 on my list.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

Lizzy, my Mom has a Prius and I have driven it on numerous occasions, it is a great car, surprisingly peppy and 60mpg, but in snow or ice, they really suck, its kind of tall and has a short wheelbase which sways in the wind, probally not a good choice for winter driving in the great Northwest.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I find that my Prius drives fine around town in the snow. On the highway it isn't too bad. I'm used to winter driving conditions, and although our winters seem to be getting progressively milder in the La Grande area over the last 30 years, there has still been enough snow for me to tell that the Prius does fine. I have a set of studded tires on it, and haven't had to chain up yet this winter.

I think you'll have a hard time going wrong with a Toyota, anyway. Everyone in our family has one... My old 91 Corolla has something like 153K miles now, and my youngest daughter drives it. The body is falling apart, but it still runs like a top.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

Yeh Snave you may be right, we get snow and ice here in VA like maybe twice a year, so not being used to it probally impedes me no matter what car I'm driving. I was talking to a guy at my Toyota dealership and he told me that they have a plan to make all of their vehicles hybrid by 2012. They are definately the industry leaders.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home