Thursday, March 29, 2007

Rule Brittania?

As someone who has spent alot of time in the UK, I have to say that I am dismayed by the capture of the Royal Navy sailors by the Iranians while on a anti-smuggling patrol. This is a stunt that the Iranians have done to embarass the Brits and to take attention away from the growing nuclear crisis there. The British have always been Euro skeptics and have preferred to usually go along with the US on foreign policy, the current debacle in Iraq has proven to perhaps be the straw that broke the Atlantic Alliances back. More and more Britons are wanting to become more integrated in the EU. This would be a shame for this country to lose our oldest and best ally, but it may be inevitable if we pursue our current neocolonial foreign policy, pretty ironic if our former colonial masters split with us because of our imperial ways in the mideast.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Yes, it would be a shame to lose Britain, but I think it will only be temporary. Once we get a Democratic President, fences will begin to be mended.

In the meantime, I'm hopeful that the hostages will be released.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

And once the Brits get someone besides Tony Blair running their show, I think things will come around a bit more toward a productive relationship between our two countries.

I have never been to Great Britain. It is one of the places on Earth I most want to see, not just the cities but largely for the countryside in the northern reaches. I envy you for getting to spend time there, especially if you spent enough time to get to know a number of the people and see a large portion of that area!

As for the hostage thing, it can't be ignored. Ahmedinejad knows exactly what he's doing, as he is an old hand at it. While I feel sorry for those captured Brits, I hope the West won't give in to any silly conditions Mr. A. thinks he might be able to get away with.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home