Friday, March 09, 2007

Dr. Gonzo Says Gun Control Sucks


So I see today that a federal court has ruled that the Districts ban on guns is unconstitutional. I gotta say bravo. I went to college and lived in Northern Va and I spent alot of time in DC and had friends that went to GW and Georgetown that lived in the District. This was in the mid nineties when DC was the murder capital of the US, and I always found the fact that you couldn't exercise your 2nd amendment rights in the nations capital quite strange. Now I'm not some raving gun nut, I don't think people should be able to own full auto machineguns, and I think that full background checks are a good thing, but anyone living in a high crime area should have the right to own a firearm to protect themselves. Where I disagree with the NRA and other pro-gun groups is this, automobiles kill way more people every year than guns, you have to have a license to drive, the same thing should apply to firearms. I have no problem with anyone who buys a gun being required to take a class in general firearms safety and having to prove profiency, what I do have a problem with is a blanket gun ban in a city or state, its contrary to the Constitution, and every American has the inherant right to self-defense.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Well, I guess we can't agree on everything, Elvez.

You do make some good points, but I'm in the other camp on this one. The less guns, the better.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

Yeh my wife is of the same opinion, its the only issue politically that we disagree on. I definately would like to see a decrease in illegal guns, and a better licensing system like with drivers licenses is a good idea, but I just its selectively interpreting the Constitution if we restrict the 2nd amendmant, whats next the 1st?

2:49 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Right on, E. I think anyone who wants to have a gun for the purpose of protection, or for hunting if that's what they're into, should be able to have one... but I am also for licensing firearms, making sure people are qualified to own and use them, and for people not having semi-automatic machine guns, etc. I also like the idea of a gun being usable only by it's owner, what do they call that technology, "smart guns"?

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home