Wednesday, December 27, 2006

New Years Plans

This New Years holiday my wife and I are taking the short hop up I-95 for a weekend in DC. We will be seeing the Redskins play the Giants on Saturday, and on New Years eve we will be eating at Le Paradou, a Champagne fueled debauch will ensue. The morning after the game though I will be going to Arlington to make my yearly trip to the grave of John Kennedy. It always puts me in a reflective if somewhat somber mood. I often think of how different this country might have been if Kennedy had not been killed. When you take the measure of a man like Kennedy and compare that to our current Chief Executive, you can't help but wonder how we got ourselves into this state of affairs. America eats it best and brightest, Jack, Bobbie, and MLK, all snuffed before they had their biggest impact. JFK , along with FDR have always been my political heroes and woe upon any wingnut who speaks ill of either man.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

I got your back on that one, Elvez.

Have a great trip!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Hope the trip is fun!

I agree about JFK and FDR. I think the FDR was my favorite part of my visit to DC a few years ago. I got a picture taken of me sitting on the statue of FDR's lap! I know that probably wasn't a cool thing to do, but I couldn't help myself. I also got pictures taken of me grimacing with the White House in the background, making an icky face in front of Trent Lott's Senate office, a phot of the site of George Washington's outhouse at Mt. Vernon and also of Ben Franklin's toilet site at his house site in Philly! But the memorials... Lincoln was cool, Washington was amazing... but the one for FDR and the Korean War memorial at night were my favorites.

Right on, woe to wingnuts who speak ill of REAL heroes (see FDR, JFK) and who praise insincere GOP men (the Bushes) and actors (i.e. Reagan) who have been presidents in the past, and who aspire to achieve the presidency one day (see Brownback, Rice, Jeb, et al)!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home