Friday, March 09, 2007

Whats The Skinny?


I gotta post on this issue, Hollywood and the media in general glorify skininess, but lately its gotten insane. Millions of young women, and men are growing up with stick insects as their image of beauty. The pervasiveness of the emaciated look is apparent to anyone who reads fashion rags or peruses the tabloids. To me denying yourself the pleasures of the table and of the vine is like living in hell. I have young teenaged nieces and cousins that I know will have body image issues and often times this is reinforced by family members and peers, its sick. I am well aware of the obesity epidemic in this country, but it seems to me that we are either one or the other, morbidly obese or dangerously skinny, we gotta find a happy medium.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I think it will be interesting if someday science comes up with a safe, effective weight control pill
and some people still choose to be obese.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

I agree completely. Eating disorders are running rampant in this country, and these young women (and men) will eventually pay the price with osteoporosis, or worse.

Is that pic of you, Elvez?

1:27 AM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

HaHa, no thats not me, a friend sent that pic to me, its of some guy at a BBQ festival in Austin I think. I've become fascinated with how Americans eat, and what that says about our culture, either massive consumption, or starvation in order to acheive that "perfect" bodytype, the rest of the World must look at us and scratch their heads.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Lizzy said...

Okay. Gotcha.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home