Thursday, December 28, 2006

Death of a President


As one who was born during the death throes of the Nixon Administration, August of 1973, I have always been fascinated with Watergate and I must admit I have always somewhat admired Gerald Ford. By now everyone has heard the talking heads and historians talk about how decent of a man Ford was, how devoted he was to Betty, etc. etc. I have to say that if I was of voting age at the time I would have been outraged that he pardoned Nixon, but in retrospect it was the right thing to do. America had to move on after the excess of Richard Nixon. Thankfully he was VP instead of the even creepier than Nixon, Spiro Agnew. Despite LBJ's quip that Ford seemed like he had played too much football without a helmet, I think Ford's openness and uncomplicated nature was what the American people needed in the Oval Office after a truly dark and Machiavellian President like Nixon. Ford was certainly one of the good Republicans that was pro-choice and not an idealogue. He has gone up further in my estimation with Bob Woodwards posthumous release of his interview with Ford from 04 where he is highly critical of the Iraq adventure and has sharp words for W and for Ford's two former Wunderkinds, Cheney and Rumsfeld. Words of wisdom from an honest Republican from the grave.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I always had a soft spot for Ford. He handled the Nixon mess a lot better than anyone would have expected.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

I don't like some of the things he did, but I still cannot help but have a lot of respect for the guy. He wasn't contentious, and I think he was basically a nice guy who wanted to do what he thought was best, not just for himself, but for the country.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home