Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Smoker's Rights?

OK, first of all I friggin hate cigarettes, secondly I live in Virginia which is the colony that tobacco built and my city of Richmond is the worldwide headquarters for Philip Morris the biggest tobacco company in the world. For the past three years a GOP legislator in the General Assembly has introduced a smoking ban in restaurants and public spaces, last year it failed by less than six votes and this year the Governor signed on, but it still failed. It will eventually pass, the public outcry in favor of the ban was vocal and to tell the truth surprised me a bit. Secondhand smoke causes cancer period, and the Governors support for the bill was to protect restaurant workers who are exposed to second hand smoke. This is something near and dear to me as I worked for years in restaurants and my wife's family owns restaurants so she is exposed to smokers. The "smokers rights" morons were all over this vote and were loudly decrying the ban. Screw that, you don't have a right to blow toxins in my face in a public place, smoke at home, in your car, or outside, is that so damned hard? Cities and states that have enforced bans have seen upswings in bar and restaurant revenues in almost every case. I say all this as a former smoker, I smoked my last at the age of 25, I'm 33 now, so its been awhile. If cities like NYC and Dublin can pass bans, I think we can get one here, I'm going to have to send more letters and emails next year.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

Here in MN, we have smoking bans in the cities. It's about to go statewide.

As a smoker, I thought the smoking ban sucked at first, but now when I go to bars & restaurants, it's much more pleasant.

Yes, I know I have to quit. I quit for almost 3 years, and then stupidly started again last summer.

Please don't take offence to my upcoming Obama/smoking post.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

Nah, as a former puffer I can get a little sanctimonious on my soapbox, but my real scorn is towards big tobacco, not the folks, me included, that are or were hooked on their products. I had heard that Obama was a smoker and the fact that he struggles with it does make me more apt to vote for him, it show his human side and as someone who quit I can instantly identify with his habit.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Everytime I go to a bar here in Seattle I appreciate the smoking ban. It's even made little funky taverns fun to hang out in.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I think that because it is an addictive product, tobacco should be regulated like liquor is, here in Oregon, sold only in state-run stores. They can sell government-grown pot in those stores too. The government can grow the tobacco, grow the pot, produce the liquor, sell the stuff, and use the money to pay for a national health care program. Yeah, that does sound simplistic and goofy. I'll blame that on the valium and percoset combination... time for me to go to bed! 8-)>

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home