Saturday, May 12, 2007

Northern California Rocks


I just got back from a work trip to the Napa Valley and the Sonoma Coast as well as a few days in San Francisco and all I can say is wow. I'm not a big fan of SoCal, but I have to say San Francisco and wine country especially the Sonoma Coast are stunning. I love being in a city where my liberal ass is considered "conservative." Solar panels on every other house, great mass transit, good baseball, amazing restaurants, and plenty of freaks, I was in heaven. One thing that really impressed me was when we visited two of the wineries that we represent, one of them is on the grid but is generating enough solar energy to sell some back to the power company each month, no small feat, especially when you consider the fact that they produce 30,000 cases of wine a year. The other winery in Mendocino is totally off the grid and is a biodynamic farm. My 1500 square foot house uses more energy from nonrenewable sources than these two wineries that produce over 60,000 cases of wine a year, absolutely amazing.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

I've never been there, but it sounds absolutely wonderful. Welcome back!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Snave said...

Yes, welcome back! I have only been to SF once, but I loved it. That was in 1979, and there were still plenty of freaks around, the parks were great, and it sure had a flavor all its own. It wasn't until last spring that I finally got to see some of the northern California wine country, which was like the diametric opposite of "whine country" (the red-state area in which I live!) I think NoCal would be a cool place to live if one could afford it, and it sure is a wonderful place to visit.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip there, and maybe sooner or later you will be working with some wineries in Oregon's Willamette Valley or in SE Washington. The Oregon wineries are pretty cool; the ones in WA produce excellent wine but they are out in the middle of arid, hot redneck country. Those ones in WA are about 90 minutes drive from where I live, so if your company ever hooks up with one of those wineries, let me know and I'll show you some of the less-redneck sites!

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home