Sunday, April 29, 2007

Losing A Great Journalist


David Halberstam died last week in a traffic accident, he was a journalist and writer of great talent. His Vietnam era reporting and books, "The Best and the Brightest," and "Quagmire," were some of the finest works on the Vietnam disaster. Halberstam had won a Pulitzer and in recent years had turned into a damned fine sportswriter. I got a chance to meet him after he lectured one of my PoliSci classes at George Mason in 1995. He was incredibly generous with his time and stayed for over an hour after his lecture to answer our questions. He was self-effacing and really fascinating guy. Halberstam was one of those great old-school war reporters who was instrumental in helping change public opinion about the war in Vietnam, he will be missed.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Snave said...

I haven't read any of his war writings, but I have read his book about the Portland Trailblazers' championship season, I think it was called "The Breaks of the Game"... excellent writing. I will have to read some of his other books.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home