Sunday, June 03, 2007

Thug Life, Country Style.

I've been debating on posting about this for a while. As most now know, Atlanta Falcons and Former Virginia Tech QB Michael Vick has been implicated in a huge pitbull fighting and gambling ring. Vick grew up in the same corner of the world as me, in rural SE Virginia, he bought some land in Surry County Va and he has been raising and fighting dogs at his compound there. Now his cousin was living there and Vick is claiming that he had no idea what was going on on his property, sure. Local people have known about this for some time, and it finally took his cousin going down on a drug charge to get a warrant for the place. In Va, the Commonwealth's Attorney, who is the lead prosecutor in a city or county is an elected position. The CA in Surry is currently dragging his feet on indicting Vick for numerous reasons, first Vick is enormously popular all over VA, secondly he has ties to Vicks family, and unfortunately he is playing the race card, Surry County is over 60% African-American and the CA thinks by prosecuting Vick he will lose votes. Utter BS, I have long been a fan of Vicks, I think he is a tremendously talented athlete, and until recently I thought he was a decent guy who gives alot away to charity. I now think he is a cruel thug who needs to be prosecuted. Dogfighting in VA is a felony and carries up to 5 years in jail. You can't excuse vicious animal cruelty like this, anyone who would treat dogs like these guys did is a borderline sociopath. Undoubtedly Vick has paid off the local Sheriff and others, but now the Humane Society and other animal welfare groups are involved and hopefully this matter goes to court. Maybe the football pundits are right, Vick doesn't have the smarts to be a Superbowl caliber QB, sheer athleticism only takes you so far if your a moron, and any sick bastard that raises dogs to kill each other so he can bet on them is most certainly a moron.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

I couldn't agree more. However, I think a 5 year sentence is too short.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Screw Vick. I was so pissed the first time I heard about this.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

I can't see any excuse for this kind of behavior and for this kind of abuse of animals. I also don't understand why so many angry young American men think it's cool to own pitbulls. A dog's behavior is usually a reflection of its owner, and when I see the kind of owners most pitbulls have, it makes me afraid of those dogs.

One of the NBA's Portland Trailblazers, Qyntel Woods, was caught up in this crap a couple of years ago and the team got rid of him not long after that. I think the Falcons ought to make a good business decision like Portland did, and just cut Vick from their roster, now. Let him become someone else's headache. If he ends up in a prison uniform instead of a football uniform, so much the better... after this, I think his career will pretty much be toast anyway.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

Ironically, if he goes to prison do you think he'll end up being someone's bitch?

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home