Friday, June 15, 2007

Sonvolt


This is a very bad cameraphone pic of a fine altcountry band, Sonvolt. Jay Farrar who is the songwriter and singer was one half of one of the best songwriting duos since Lennon /Mccartney (in my somewhat warped opinion) He and Jeff Tweedy were in a fine punk/altcountry band called Uncle Tupelo and when they split up Tweedy founded Wilco and Farrar started Sonvolt. I saw these guys last night at an outdoor concert series that we have in Richmond at a botanical garden, its a great intimate setting to see a show. Sonvolts first album Trace is one of my favorite records of the 90's. Sonvolt has stayed a bit truer to the altcountry genre, pedal steel, etc, unlike Wilco who has dabbled with electronica and 60's pop, their new record has some downright Beatlesesque tunes on it. Farrar has also penned some more overtly political tunes of late, his song "Jet Pilot" is a stinging rebuke of W. It was a great show.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

I'm a fan of Wilco, so I'll have to check them out.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

I really like SonVolt. Got to see them open for the Drive-by Truckers last year.

Speaking of Wilco, what do you think of the song "Impossible Germany"? I just can't seem to stop playing it.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

Yeah Sonvolt is a great band, you should check out there stuff Lizzy, so are the Truckers, I'm going to see them at a free show this Fri, at an outdoor stage down by the river here in Richmond. I think Impossible Germany and Hate it Here are the two best songs on the very fine new Wilco record, like you Jim I played that song like a thousand times when I first got the record, I'm looking forward to seeing them perform these songs live.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home