Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Why Bono Matters

Heres a picture from last weeks G8 summit on the Baltic with German Chancellor Merkel, Bob Geldolf, Youssou N'Dour, Bono, and some lady who I don't recognize. Quite a gathering, I understand the protests at the G8, globalization is scary and many are being left behind. So why is the singer from a post-punk Irish pop band hobknobbing with W and Co.? Simple, to save lives. By becoming an ambassador for forgiving 3rd world debt, spending more on AIDS and malarial drugs, Bono has shamed many world leaders into ponying up, even W. Despite hating Bush's politics a guy like Bono can put that aside when these issues are at stake. My wife picked up this months Vanity Fair which Bono guest edited, the Africa issue, with 20 seperate Annie Liebovitz covers, its really an eye opener. When you see that Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have given more money to African AIDS relief, and education than the govts of China, Italy, and S. Korea combined, it makes you realize how powerful a guy like Bono really is. I wore my cassette of the Joshua Tree out when I was in middle school, U2s activism and opposition to US involvement in Central America and to apartheid made an impression on me and stirred me towards activism as a young teenager. Rock stars aren't always the most well-informed folks, but guys like Bono have inspired individuals and govts to care about issues like poverty, and for that he should be thanked.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzy said...

I have a been a U2 fan since their first album came out.

Bono should be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Period.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Elvez73 said...

Absolutely, I'm surprised he hasn't won one yet.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Jim Marquis said...

It's really amazing what one person can accomplish if they put their mind to it.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home